Monday, June 13, 2011

Sticks and Stones

Remember when you were little and people always said, "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me." who made that dumb shit up? That is the biggest lie I have ever heard in my life.  I did not believe that when I was little and I still do not believe it now.  I'm a grown lady and words still hurt me.  They cut deeper than almost anything.  Words are powerful.  They hold much meaning and signifigance.  They shape who we are and what we believe to be true, and although we say they do not hurt us: they do. As an adult I still find that my emotions and self-worth are somehow wrapped up in he words of others.  My father always said, "Mean what you say, and say what you mean," so for me it was simple; what someone said was a representation of what they feel and believe.  An outward expression of their core values and innermost thoughts.  In my mind, what you say defines who you are, but what happens when the one closest to you inflicts pain with their words? Or worse, says nothing at all?

No comments:

Post a Comment